WHY TEATOWN? The name Teatown dates back to 1776 when tea was scarce due to British taxation. A man by the name of John Arthur moved to the northern Westchester area hoarding a chest full of tea with thoughts of selling it at huge profit. A group of women called Daughters of Eve found out about the tea and demanded Mr. Arthur sell the tea at a reasonable fee. After refusing, the women laid siege to the farmhouse. Mr. Arthur finally agreed to sell the tea at a fair price in exchange for a peaceful withdrawal. Hence, the area became known as "Teatown." Today, Teatown is a leading environmental education organization offering science-based programs to 20,000 adults and children each year using its 1,000 acre preserve and nature center as a living laboratory.